Thursday, July 25, 2013

Recent outings and putting time in.

The weather lately has been unforgiving, thunderstorms spotting up and high winds not cooperating with work schedule. I have managed a few trips out to Lynnhaven, Rudee, Oceanview, and the CBBT.


My experience with obtaining information about fishing the CBBT has been hit or miss. There are several anglers who-happy to share pictures of catches and brag about their infinite knowledge, clam up tighter than a drum when approached with questions. On the other hand, there are several who, are happy to share their wealth of information if they know your not going to exploit it. And they see your putting in the effort yourself. Im one of those hands on stubborn learners so I decided to ask questions, pick up what I can, and trial and error. My first trip out to the CBBT was with William Ragulsky and unfortunately the weather did not allow us to paddle out, however I was able to pick up on a few things and using this I decided to head out.
I got out to the bridge and dug up some mole crabs, I also had some chowder clams. I paddled out and didnt quite make it to the first island because the weather started acting up. I mostly focused on learning the paddle while fish technique around the pilings, which is alot harder than the infamous K.K. makes it look on film. Now I know why Rob Choi makes all the silly faces (I just dont have a GoPro constantly filming me.) My first bite I got excited and jerked so hard the 2 oz egg sinker and 5 inch croaker nearly flew onto the bridge. I continued to catch more croaker. No spadefish or sheepshead were caught by me that day.

My Lynnhaven trips have been a disappointment as well, small beltbuckle size flounder, small croaker, and lost tails of gulp. I have found that by either soaking regular soft plastics in gulp, or a super secret formula I came up with I might share with you if we ever fish together, creates as much bites (atleast from croaker/small flounder) as the expensive gulp. So although im not catching 30 inch flounder or slot reds im still learning and experimenting!

Saturday's TKAA Family day trip out with BB proved to be another win for the weather. The winds were turning the water choppy and the current was difficult to paddle against, it was nice to meet some new faces, say goodbye to Russell, who in my short time knowing has been a very great fishing mentor and good friend.

I managed a trip out to Rudee with William, and he was kind enough to show myself and BB the ropes on general inshore fishing. I didnt catch a single fish. William managed a few small flounder and one keeper just in the short time he fished with us. I am very greatful for the patience, and sharing of knowledge. He was also kind enough to treat us to dinner. (Kind of)
12 inch croaker on Egret Vudu Shrimp (Tiger) under a green popping cork.


My solo rudee trip was at high tide, with storms moving in, so I didnt venture very far sticking to the grass flats I managed a few small croaker, one 12 inch croaker, and one lost fish that felt frisky enough to pull drag so I know it wasnt a croaker (or atleast bigger than any croaker ive caught since the 12incher didnt even pull drag.) Then the storms moved in so I paddled to shore.


I invested in a few lures, hopefully these prove to be a wise investment and help me in my quest to figure out Virginia inshore fishing and one day be able to atleast catch dinner.
Egret Vudu Shrimp-for use with a popping cork.
Egret Bayou Chub-for jigging/fishing with a spinner for reds and flounder.
Reel Fast Tackle 5 inch Flinchin Minnows-for specks and reds, single and tandem rigged.
Rapala X-rap 10-for specks.

I have also experienced a few negative comments and rumors and I would just like to say that I may not be that great of a fisherman, but it wont stop me from continuing to paddle out and try. I have never considered myself a great fisherman, and yes it is sometimes disappointing, and even disheartening to invest time and money and not have anything to show for it, but I believe in learning from experience.

1 comment:

  1. In due time. Id start keeping a fishing journal if I were you and record the days you do and dont catch fish.

    ReplyDelete