Monday, August 11, 2014

YakAttack Outriggers

I have been trying to find ways to get BB out on her kayak more. She enjoys being out on the water but she is from the desert of Arizona and it is all new to her so she gets uncomfortable on rough and windy water. After looking up several DIY and marketed outriggers I couldnt find anything that BB liked or I thought would be stable enough or work for her kayak. I knew that if she didnt like how it looked, or felt comfortable using it then it would make her not want to kayak more, the opposite of my intentions. I had almost given up completely then I seen a Facebook update from YakAttack that said they were toying with the idea of releasing somthing. I was pretty excited because all of the products that I have used have been excellent quality and very easy to mount and customize. I waited anxiously for more news or pictures to see what would happen.
The first photos posted were awesome. A collapsable/modular system that mounted using geartrac and two pontoons that looked to be very sleek. Then I thought I hit another snag, after looking at the components I knew it wasnt going to be cheap, but then again what hobby is? I got the break I was looking for however because Luther announced a demo run of the outriggers. Ten demo sets were up for 175.00$ so I jumped on the opportunity and three weeks later I got the box in the mail.
Right out of the box I could see why the final price will be as high as announced. Every component is already available on the market for various installs of rod holders and accessories. The assembly was pretty straight forward even without instructions. The hardest part was finding where on BBs Hurricane Phoenix 120 we were going to put it. We finally decided on a spot right after the rear stoarge well and mounted the 4 inch geartrac. BB wanted lime green so I went with the GTSL90. I believe the GT175 would be a more stable platform. The mounting plates are slotted so that if you have angled geartrac it will still slide in which came in handy during this install.
On her first trip out BB was very happy with how the kayak handled and how stable it was. She was more comfortable on the water and therefore stayed out longer and went more places. She even braved boat wake sideways without any fear of tipping over. She stood up in her kayak and moved around, although the Phoenix isnt really made for standing and the thinner plastic was bending the kayak itself was stable and nowhere near close to flipping. While she paddled the pontoons cut through the water and waves very easy. BB's favorite part about the install was how cool it makes her kayak look, and thats always a plus right? If your looking to add stability to your kayak check out YakAttack when they release the outriggers. Dont let the price scare you, this setup is built with quality components. This is only a demo set, its gonna be tough to improve an already awesome setup. Just make sure you place it where you can make a full paddle stroke without making contact with the pontoons.


Box came in the mail!
Base plate added to the pontoon.

Side view.

All it needs now is some mini shark decals!

Mount attached to base plate.

Side view.

Arm attached, wide range of adjustability.


Side view.


Complete pontoon assembled with attaching arms.


Ends connected to the plastic bar. I just pressed them on and used the screws provided.



Geartrac installed.


Notice the angle of the geartrac, the mounting bracket was slotted so it still slid right in.

Add caption











No comments:

Post a Comment