Monday, May 27, 2013

TKAA Outing.

Got a late start to the Tidewater Kayak Anglers Association Fish Day at Owl Creek (Rudee Inlet.) Had to pick up the girlfriend from work at 0800 so I didnt get out to VA Beach until 10. Once I got on the water I paddled around to talk to everyone, or those who were social I should say. The weather was awesome and I heard rumors and whispers of flounder being caught so I tied on a gulp shrimp and started drifting. I fished the inside around the aquarium for about 30 minutes with only 1 'nibble' that I didnt get the hook set in so I paddled out to see what was happening on the rail. No action from shore except croaker and there was a lot of boat traffic and jet skiers so I paddled back to the islands and fished around them. I seen some flounder being caught but got no bites. I got my first fish right off the first bouy, a 10 inch croaker that decided he liked my gulp.
I continued paddling to the far bank and drifting back to the boat ramp with only a few more bites. I did manage a 13 inch grey trout, but after trying to get my cell phone out of my pfd and hold him on the hawg trough he slipped out of my grip and plopped into the water.
Another croaker, and the biggest ive ever caught. (I guess thats a milestone? PB croaker...)
I managed 2 more small grey trout, but again they proved to be too frantic and slippery to pose for a picture. From what I was getting from everyone else I was doing pretty good just to get bites. I switched over to swimming mullet and managed a small bluefish but he decided to throw the hook when I picked up the line to swing him in my lap. I carry a net, no idea why I didnt decide to use it. Guess I learned my lesson there. Paddled back out to the bridge and talked to Jay Brooks about what was being caught and then paddled back to the ramp. My girlfriend finally showed up at around 1 pm and we paddled around some more. She was just happy to be out on her Phoenix 120 and fly her pirate flag, and since the fish werent bitin we just enjoyed the weather and the water.




I did see Rob Choi setting out after everyone had left, and I think I might have offended him with my "A little late start for you?" comment, but I did enjoy checkin out his yak in person. All in all it wasnt a bad day, its too bad there was so much boat traffic and the fish were being sulky. Atleast it wasnt a skunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment